What buyers need to do after completion?

After picking up your keys and unpacking all your belongings, you’re probably thinking about all the little jobs you have to do now you’ve moved into your new home. Below are a number of tasks which we would recommend you deal with promptly.

Buildings insurance

It is likely to have been a requirement of your mortgage lender (if you have a mortgage) that you would take out building’s insurance on exchange of Contracts. It is therefore vital that you ensure buildings insurance cover is in place on completion. Even if you don’t have a mortgage, buildings insurance is still important as it will cover the costs of repairing damage to the structure of the property.

Meter readings

Unexpected energy costs are the last thing anyone needs just after moving into their new property. As such, it is important to take meter readings on the day you move in to ensure you’re only charged for the energy you use from the date you moved in, and that you’re not being charged for energy usage of the previous owner. If you are unsure, always check with your energy provider how to upload your meter readings.

Updating your address

Although it can be time consuming, updating your address as soon as possible is always best practice. Ensure you update your address anywhere this is held on file, be that your driving license, dental surgery, or any mail services you’re subscribed to.

Your Local Council

It is worth checking the website for your Local Council, as most have a helpful page confirming how you pay council tax, as well as other useful information such as the bin collection days for the property.


You will also need to let the properties service providers know that you have moved in, so they are able to update their records. You will need to contact the suppliers of your gas, electricity and water and also contact a broadband provider as soon as possible, as it can take a number of weeks for internet service providers to visit the property to set up your internet, so the sooner you arrange this the better. If you intend on watching television, you will also need to purchase a TV Licence. This can be done online on the TV Licensing website.

Ground Rent/Service Charge

If you have purchased a Leasehold property, you should have been advised prior to completion of any requirements to pay ground rent and/or service charge. On completion, your solicitor will serve notice on the relevant parties to inform them you will be moving into the property. They will then likely be in touch shortly after completion to confirm the sums payable and where they are due to be paid. If you have not heard anything in relation to Service Charge/Ground Rent shortly after moving in, it may be worth double checking with your solicitor that the relevant notice has been served.

Chan Neill property solicitors understand that buying or selling a property can be a stressful time. Our team is well experienced and have stringent protocols in place to streamline the entire process efficiently, providing our clients with peace of mind. Across our team, we speak many languages including Mandarin and Cantonese, Gujarati, Russian, Portuguese, Korean and Spanish.

Chan Neill Solicitors is accredited under the The Law Society’s Conveyancing Scheme Qualification (CQS), which provides a recognition of our residential conveyancing standard and quality and is officially recognised by a range of mortgage lenders which grant us access to their residential mortgage lender panels.

If you have any enquiries regarding residential properties, commercial properties, buying or selling a property or properties owned by a limited company, please contact us. With access to our solicitors at two locations, one in City and one in Mayfair, we cover a very broad spectrum of varying clients needs.