If you are a Commonwealth citizen wishing to come to work in the UK and one of your grandparents was born in the UK, you might be able to qualify for ancestry visa in the United Kingdom.
Key points under this visa route:
• You must be 17 years of age or over
• You must be a Commonwealth citizen
• You must prove that one of your grandparents was born in the United Kingdom and Islands, the Republic of Ireland before 31 March 1922, or on a British-registered ship or aircraft
• You must be able to work and intend to obtain or seek employment in the UK
• Switching to UK ancestry within the UK is not allowed
• Leave to enter and remain in the UK is granted for 5 years
• This visa route leads to settlement in the UK
• You can bring your family members with you
• You cannot claim UK ancestry through step-parents
• You must prove knowledge of the English language and knowledge of life in the UK when applying for indefinite leave to remain (“ILR”)
If you are seeking a legal advice on your eligibility for UK ancestry, please do not hesitate to contact our Immigration Team.
Please note that requirements may vary from case to case based on the nuances of your situation, and the information on this page is not intended to replace legal advice.