Skilled Worker Health and Care


The Health and Care visa is a part of Skilled Worker route which caters to qualified doctors, nurses, allied health and care professionals who have been trained to a recognised standard and persons working in the social care sector.

With effect from the 11th of March 2024, for occupation codes 6145 care workers and home carers and 6146 senior care workers, the sponsoring organisation must be registered with the Care Quality Commission. This requirement does not apply when making an extension Health and Care visa application with the same employer.

Dependents are not allowed for Skilled Worker applicants in occupation codes 6145 care workers and home carers and 6146 senior care workers, unless the application is for a dependent partner or child of a Health and Care worker who was granted entry clearance or permission to stay visa under the Rules before the 11th of March 2024, and who have held permission as a Skilled Worker in either or both codes 6145 and 6146 continuously since then.

In order to be successfully granted Skilled Worker: Health and Care visa, the applicant must:

  • Be applying for an entry clearance visa or permission to stay in the UK
  • Be taking up a job in one of the occupations specified in SOC codes
  • Be employed or engaged by one of the specified organisations in the Health and Care sector
  • Have a valid Certificate of Sponsorship (COS) from an A-rated Licensed sponsor
  • Evidence an appropriate salary, which meets the relevant salary threshold
  • Be able to provide evidence of knowledge of English language
  • Have sufficient personal savings when arriving in the UK
  • Be able to demonstrate ability to travel and travel history over the preceding 5 years
  • Have a valid tuberculosis test (if from a listed country)
  • Provide a criminal record certificate if working with vulnerable people.

Eligible applicants and their dependents are not required to pay Immigration Health Surcharge (IHS).

The Health and Care visa applicants as well as their dependents can pay the reduced UKVI fees.

For further information about Skilled Worker: Health and Care visa and for the tailored advice to a specific case scenario please do not hesitate to contact our Immigration Team.

Our regulated advisers have had many years of experience assisting applicants and their family members with their relocation to the UK as well as with their extension and Indefinite Leave to Remain (settlement) visa applications.

*Please note that requirements may vary from case to case based on the nuances of your situation, and the information on this page is not intended to replace legal advice.